Materials and Supplies
From Nordeast Makers
3D printer filament
- Make sure to get 1.75 mm, PLA or ABS fillament. PLA is highly recommended as it is much easier to work with.
- Micro Center in St. Louis Park stocks PLA and ABS and is the only local source I'm aware of.
- There are endless online sources for filament. Amazon.com is a good place to start. Try to get high quality filaments with good reviews to avoid issues. Hatchbox and Makerbot filaments are good.
- Menard's and Home Depot are a good choice for small amounts of acrylic.
- E&T Plastics has a better selection and prices if you're purchasing larger quantities.
Adhesive backed vinyl
- Home Depot Stocks a 1/4" upcut bit.
- Amazon carries quite a few bits and is great if you need them quick. The two below are tried and true.
- Tools Today has one of the most comprehensive selection of high quality CNC bits.
- Carbide Processors has a large selection of low to high quality tooling priced accordingly.
- Precise Bits has reasonably priced bits. If you need small bits for PCB etching or otherwise, this is the place.
- Adafruit has a great selection of micro-controllers, components and much more. NEM gets discounted prices on orders over $200. We do group buys occasionaly to hit the minimum. Let us know if you need something from them.
- Mouser has a very comprehensive selection of electronic components.
- Circuit Specialists is a great source for steppers, PSUs and other electronics.
- McMaster-Carr has a great selection of fasteners and other hardware.
- Fastenal is local but tends to cost more than McMaster.
- Home Depot and Menards are both great sources for small quantities of basic materials including plywood, and common hard and soft wood boards.
- Siwek has a much more comprehensive selection of lumber and has great prices on small and damaged pieces.
- Youngblood is great for exotic woods and other specialty lumber but tends to cost more than the other options.
- Industrial Lumber is a wholesale supplier with great prices and the only local option for Apple Ply. Nordeast Makers has a cash account with them so let us know if you need something from them.
- Discount Steel is the only place we go for metal. They have great prices and you can get scraps for cheap.